Reopening of Casino outlets delayed in Mauritius

Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth has addressed the nation that the government decided for the phase 1 reopening of some selected activities in the country, which commenced May 1 until June 1 for further review if the situation improves.

However, the sectors that have been prohibited from reopening their business operations include the casinos’ outlets, sports, beaches, Cinemas, night clubs, reception, fairs and food courts, amongst others, will remain closed. Even though most economic activities resume normally May 1, operators in the casinos’ outlets are still not allowed to operate. This is a massive blow for business, which has been astonished by the virus outbreak since last year, disrupting most of their business operations.

Further, overall, the delay till June 1, which is still not sure, depends on review, is a worrisome moment for the entertainment industry in the country. The sector has been on a standstill since lockdown on March 30 2021. Even though businesses such as casinos have been accepting players online, those with no online presence are definitely at the low point of business as the reopening of their business is uncertain. As mentioned, undoubtedly, the land-based casino operators felt the impact of the covid-19 pandemic outbreak. Since the first national lockdown in the country, which continues with no definite resumption date, has also disrupted the horse racing season billed in March this year.

However, these new directives by the authorities have left operators in the entrainment and casino sector to share their frustration. According to local media, one of the casinos’ owners who wish to speak in anonymity says the future of their business is dying. “This second confinement to the land-based casino is not good for their business as our turnover is negative laments.

While one of the directors, Monta Ida Films Rajesh Calicharan, says that given the evolution of the Covid19 pandemic in Mauritius, his company owns several cinemas, casinos including Machine (train, Flacq, and Port Louis) and Novely in Curepipe.

“The well-being of the population must come first with the record contamination of the pandemic in India and United States, and no films are showing in theatres and no casino operations,” – he said.

However, Rajesh does not hide his concern about the future of his business; with this second lockdown, we should be ready for a hard time as things could get worst, and we should be prepared for survival mode. “These could be worst than the first national lockdown” he said.

However, the vaccine roll-out has been delayed in Mauritius than what the government plans. The outbreak in India is also not a piece of good news for Africa in general, as countries under the Covax vaccine program are primarily from Africa. In contrast, the vaccine is manufactured in India and it is been supplied to Africa, but the Indian government announced this week that it is suspending supply to Africa.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.